HOME RECIPES BAKEMAS

Saturday 9 August 2014

Coleslaw three ways; Apple, Mustard and Spicy Sultana



When you don't know what to write about, I guess we can call that bloggers blog, which in my case is a rather frequent problem, you have to find inspiration from somewhere. Eventually I will get better at finding that inspiration but today I resorted too "mum....hypothetically...if you were to write about coleslaw....".

I always feel like anecdotes are the best thing to write about on here but believe you me sometimes there is no entertainment, mishap or amusing situation that comes from making something, and this coleslaw was one of those things. So mentioning in passing to anecdotes and coleslaw my mum told me about the great coleslaw debacle of 199?; okay don't get your hopes this tale is neither thrilling, humorous or plagued with drama and it's almost 83% speculation and only 17% fact.

I assume I was quite young because I have no recollection of this happening, we were living in our old house, it was new years eve; cue the memories of brisk cold walks home at 1 am where you can see your breath as it exist your mouth and the dull sound of thumping music coming from peoples houses. I imagine the tale of events went as follows; someone, more likely multiple someone's, were walking along the street with coleslaw and obviously decided my dads car would ultimately be the perfect place to put this coleslaw, whether they proceeded to eat it off the car after dumping it there I'm not sure, maybe it was bad coleslaw. The more likely tale of events being drunken people with a possible distaste for coleslaw finding it hilarious to throw around. According to my sources coleslaw does not do wonders for your paint, I guess the moral of the story is that you should probably stand a least a foot away from your vehicle while consuming this and if you do manage to fling it the way of your car maybe try and clean it up straight away.

For the basic coleslaw
1/4 cabbage
2 carrots
2 tbsp greek yogurt
2 tbsp mayonnaise

Thinly slice the cabbage and place in a bowl with the grated carrots, add the yogurt and mayonnaise and mix until evenly combined.

I split the mixture into 3 and added the following ingredients

For the apple coleslaw
1/2 an apple, chopped

For the spiced sultana coleslaw
1 tsp of mango chutney
a handful of sultanas
a pinch of ginger

For the mustard coleslaw
1 tsp wholegrain mustard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger…